Female owner needs help!

T

TBird Vikki

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi... I'm brand new to this forum. I have 2 pressing issues/questions please: I have a 2005 50th anniversary T-bird (love of my life)... I have 2 questions please: Over the last year I had to replace all of the ignition coils. Now, I read that Ford is covering that cost. But I didn't know about that and already had them replaced by a private mechanic. Does anyone know if I can apply to Ford for reimbursement? If yes, where would I send this request? Secondly, now I need to have the solenoid pak replaced. One mechanic said that I should also replace the valve body as well - the other mechanic said it is not necessary. The one who recommended replacing both said he can do both for one labor cost and that it is inevitable that the valve body will fail in the future. They say that the cost of the valve body part is about $350.00.. a significant amount of money right now. Any experience or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I plan to be buried in this car :) Thank you!

Hi... I'm brand new to this forum. I have 2 pressing issues/questions please: I have a 2005 50th anniversary T-bird (love of my life)... I have 2 questions please: Over the last year I had to replace all of the ignition coils. Now, I read that Ford is covering that cost. But I didn't know about that and already had them replaced by a private mechanic. Does anyone know if I can apply to Ford for reimbursement? If yes, where would I send this request? Secondly, now I need to have the solenoid pak replaced. One mechanic said that I should also replace the valve body as well - the other mechanic said it is not necessary. The one who recommended replacing both said he can do both for one labor cost and that it is inevitable that the valve body will fail in the future. They say that the cost of the valve body part is about $350.00.. a significant amount of money right now. Any experience or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I plan to be buried in this car :) Thank you!

Miss Vikki-It depends on age & mileage. Ford extended the warranty to 10 years & 100,000 miles. See link http://repairpal.com/extended-warranty-on-ford-ignition-coils-381. Re: having the solenoid pak replaced and also replacing the valve body as well. I'm currently on the road in AR driving a friend from TN to Las Vegas. As soon as I get home, I'll call my friend who is the service manager at the largest Ford dealer in LV and get his opinion. What is the mileage on your 'bird? Joe -

Hi Joe... THANKS.. I have 82,000 miles on it. I called Ford and they said that the engine coils were under an extended warranty, but that the deadline to claim it expired in 2008! I never got a letter... I would like to appeal - as I spent $1,200 to replace all 8 last year. I really appreciate your help. The dealership in my town is not known for their honesty, and actually lied to me about repairs I needed one time that I didn't, tried to tell me I had to purchase extended warranty to get special financing etc....., so I can't rely on them at all. My coils were replaced by a private repair shop - but Ford parts. big sigh! Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Vikki,
SpotterJoe has the inside track by knowing a service manager but until then I'll give you my opinion. It can't have expired in 2008 as I'm sure that under the extended warranty you are covered for 10 years, or 100,000 miles. You must be close to the 10 year limit if you haven't already passed it. What is your last four VIN digits and I'll see exactly when the 10 year mark would apply. Im pretty sure it would be 10 years after the car was purchased, not 10 years after manufacture. Or you can post your VIN digits here: http://forums.fordthunderbirdforum....w-rare-your-02-05-thunderbird-is.3010/page-34

Hi Spotter Joe - when I talked to Ford Customer Service, they verified that my car WAS included in the warranty, but the guy I talked to was adamant that I missed the deadline to claim the warranty... I agree with you, this seems ludicrous. I have never heard of a "deadline" to claim a warranty. So, now I am looking for the name of a person high up on the food chain in Ford (not the customer service people) who I can contact for an appeal. I have only owned Fords since my first car in High School, the famous mustang! They never sent me a letter and the problem didn't appear until last year - 2014. Either way, miles or years, I am under warranty. I purchased the car in January of 2006, even though it is a 2005 - I purchased it new. So, yes, I am still just under the deadline and need to get going on this - $1,200 is a lot of money! Can you ask your friend if he knows how/where I can write or call to appeal? Thanks sooo much! I really appreciate your help.

Vikki, I'm back in Las Vegas and have put in a call to my friend. Waiting for call back. I would prefer to communicate a little more privately. Can you email me at spotterjoe@*********? Thanks, Joe

Vikki, I'm back in Las Vegas and have put in a call to my friend. Waiting for call back. I would prefer to communicate a little more privately. Can you email me at spotterjoe@*********? Thanks, Joe
Vikki: Just as a forum reader, did you get resolution?

NO... I wrote to Ford and they said that they mailed the letter in 2008 (which I obviously never got). I have not moved, or changed address, so I don't think they mailed it. Then they said because I had the repairs made at an unauthorized repair place, they would not reimburse me. I think I am going to appeal - but I don't know where/how. If I had received the letter, I would have gone to Ford in the first place. I really need the name and contact info for someone high on the food chain at Ford to appeal to. I spent $1,100.00 replacing all of the coils that were defective and under warranty. This just doesn't seem right. I just get the standard form rejection letters, so looking for someone with authority to appeal to. thanks for asking. Vikki

I bought my 2003 used in 2006. Have had it since. I have never received or heard of any recall, and have had to replace all the cylinder coils. That's all I've done...is this solenoid pack and valve whatever something else I need to worry about? What are the symptoms? Man, this car is a pain.

Jan, Ford had an extended warranty on the 2003-2005 coil on plugs (COPS) for 10 years or 100,000 miles. Had you taken it to a Ford dealer the repairs would have been done for free. Its probably too late to submit a claim for repairs done by an independent shop. Hopefully you won't have any more trouble with it.

I had to replace my coils just over two years ago and had read about the terrible cost, so found a seller called Herko on Ebay who has the after market ones, they cost $65 for the whole set of eight and are still going strong. Just for peoples info.

I'm old school and do all the work on the car myself, its how I grew up.

Vickie I purchased an extended warrantee on my 05 T-Bird from Liberty Insurance Company on the complete drive train. The policy covers from the front of the engine to the rear axel, it is good for an additional 50,000 miles. You might want to look in to it because these cars are limited production models, things like the computer are not available anymore. New ones will have to be reprogramed to the car which becomes very expensive. Good luck Rick

Vikki et al.
I also do all my own work. I use Rock Auto (rockauto.com) for most of my parts, but also eBay and Amazon.
Rock Auto has a large array of parts for the new retro t-birds.
Example; 12 vendors selling the coil on plug, prices range fro $11 to $47 from Ford's supplier.
I had one go bad on my 04 bird (82k miles) and I used a mid-price level vendor I am familiar with at low$30's cost. Bought a couple "just in case"!
Good luck, cheers, Frank

Back