Trouble Replacing my 1965's Rear Bumper Emblem

I

iamdavis90

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I recently bought a 1965 Thunderbird, I am in the process of restoring it however I have come across a couple snafus. For starters I am trying to replace my rear bumper emblem however I can not for the life of me find a way to access the bolts that hold the display piece in place. Do I have to cut through the back of the frame? Or is there an easier/faster way to get to this that I am not seeing. Tips would be much appreciated!

I recently bought a 1965 Thunderbird, I am in the process of restoring it however I have come across a couple snafus. For starters I am trying to replace my rear bumper emblem however I can not for the life of me find a way to access the bolts that hold the display piece in place. Do I have to cut through the back of the frame? Or is there an easier/faster way to get to this that I am not seeing. Tips would be much appreciated!
I HAVE A 1965 CONVERTIBLE. THAT EMBLEM BOLTS TO THE BLACK PAN THAT THE TAIL LIGHTS ARE BOLTED TO. THERE ARE 4 - 3/8 BOLTS THAT ARE ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE PAN ASSEMBLY. I CURRENTLY HAVE MY BUMPER OFF AND CANNOT TELL IF YOU CAN GET TO THE BOLTS WITH OUT REMOVING THE ASSY. YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET ON BOLTS FROM TOP OF BUMPER, CAN TELL YOU MORE IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS.

Keep me posted! I am struggling trying to figure this out!

I'm sure the bumper has to come off to access those bolts

It's been 12 years since I fully restored my 64 but it is the same set up. As I recall I had to remove the complete rear assembly which includes the pan behind the tail lights; eight bolts I believe. While I had that pan off access to the bolts that hold the emblem were easily accessible. I used some penetrating oil to soak the bolts and let them stand for a few hours as they were rusted solid. They did come out cleanly once the penetrating oil did it's job. While you have the pan off do what I did and sand and repaint both sides front and back. Not that it is all that visible but anyone looking closely will be impressed that the whole assembly was refinished in high gloss black paint rather than flat since it repels water much better. When reassembling, I put white lithium grease on all the bolts in hopes that if I ever had to remove the assembly again that it would come apart more easily than I experienced.

Good luck, it was a rewarding experience but lots of scrapped knuckles and bloody fingers.

Gord

Thanks for the tip and the best wishes. I was getting pretty frustrated trying to figure how to access those bolts. I will have to give that a look when I get a chance. I mean it wouldn't be worth it if it wasn't a pain, am I right?

Thanks again,
Ian

Yes you have to take the whole bumper off to get at it. Been there. If you remove the bolts from the frame you might be able to tilt it enough to get at it. You should have some help doing it this way.

I HAVE A 1965 CONVERTIBLE. THAT EMBLEM BOLTS TO THE BLACK PAN THAT THE TAIL LIGHTS ARE BOLTED TO. THERE ARE 4 - 3/8 BOLTS THAT ARE ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE PAN ASSEMBLY. I CURRENTLY HAVE MY BUMPER OFF AND CANNOT TELL IF YOU CAN GET TO THE BOLTS WITH OUT REMOVING THE ASSY. YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET ON BOLTS FROM TOP OF BUMPER, CAN TELL YOU MORE IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS.
I am going to do the same repair, and from looking at the diagrams, I believe the whole assembly needs to be removed to access the bolts from the rear. If you decide to attack it, post some photos please. Thanks and good luck. Dave

Back