Can't find a spare tire...

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.
lauracolerowe

lauracolerowe

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
So I blew a tire yesterday on my 2002 T-Bird, and the roadside guy went to put on the little spare, and it has basically disintegrated! I know I haven't used it since 2007, when I stored it back neatly in its compartment in the trunk. Never thought to look in there to see how it was doing...

My mechanic is looking for a replacement of the spare, and neither Firestone or Ford can find one.

Any suggestions??

Laura

TBird's correct Maxxis is the one. Sometimes you can find them on the auction site for $85/$95.
Whatever you do tell them you want to know what date code is on the tire. Just after the DOT there should be a week number and year . Like 5114 would be fifty first week of 2014, so I would stay away from one that said, 0213
The old spares blow up by themselves, in the trunk. There have been a lot of reports about that, from owners.

Last edited:
I have an '05 and just checked the spare for the first time in years. It is low on air but no cracks etc. The thing I don't like about it is a Taiwan made tire. No wonder they are going bad in the trunk. Does anyone know of a replacement that is USA ? I don't trust any asian tires. if I have to I'll take up my entire trunk with a full size spare.

I believe the Maxxis is the ONLY replacement in the correct size. I think Mustangs use the same size spare, so getting one of those from a junk yard, etc. might be an option if the tire, as George noted, is not too old.

Thanks Keith, I think I'll just go ahead and get a full size. I don't trust the asian tires no matter how much they are hyped. My son was 'sold' a set on his full size chevy van and had a flat while he was visiting. When we changed it i couldn't believe how easily i could scrunch up the tread in my hand. When i showed him this he went and bought a set of decent tires. Everyone is sold on this garbage coming in. The treads are separating and killing innocent people. A man in our development had a blowout on his jeep who it was being towed and did damage to the car. When he got it fixed he told me he was proud to get such a good deal on the new tire to replace the blowout, $35.oo !!! It was a kuhmo.

J:

Before you buy, a full; sized one & wheel, I would suggest you take any wheel off and try it in the trunk, for fit. Another owner has done this and it did fit, but only upside down. And it is much higher of course so the trunk is more filled. You may be more pleased with the MAXXIS spare

Check the auction site for:
"2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird Temporary Tubeless Spare Tire 185/60/17"

Last edited:
That is the correct size. I just clicked on the link and ordered a new one because the date code on the MAXXIS tire in my TBird trunk is 4503. With tax and shipping, the total was $174.00.
I found one on eBay a few weeks later, and it worked. I've replaced my 2002 TBird with a 2005 50th anniversary edition last month, so I should probably check out the condition of that spare tire! Thanks, all!

Last edited by a moderator:
So I blew a tire yesterday on my 2002 T-Bird, and the roadside guy went to put on the little spare, and it has basically disintegrated! I know I haven't used it since 2007, when I stored it back neatly in its compartment in the trunk. Never thought to look in there to see how it was doing...

My mechanic is looking for a replacement of the spare, and neither Firestone or Ford can find one.

Any suggestions??

Laura
I just replaced mine a couple of weeks ago. Check Maxxis Int. $159 plus $15 for shipping. Check your spare and they probably made yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back