03 Catalytic Converter

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Is there a way to find out if cats are bad, besides dealer? Car is sluggish when accelerating and can hear rattling noise on passenger side. After flush and refill of radiator, had upper hose burst, replaced but still sluggish

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Sounds like my '78 Pinto when I took the catalytic convertor off, broke out the catalyst honeycomb with a long screwdriver and put the case back in line. (Back in the day when there was a mandated but secret replacement guarantee)

Sure your coils are good? Sound suspect. Easy fix ~$100 if you do yourself (replace plugs at same time.)

Not by looking. I think there may be a code generated that will show you if you have a reader.
If you have a coil that is totally shot, you can find it by trial and error. Disconnect each coil one at a time while the engine is running and listen to how much the idle changes. Re-connect it before moving on to the next. If you disconnect one and the idle doesn't change, that's the one.
However, if one is bad, and they are all the same age, the others will follow shortly.......

If you have an autozone store nearby they will check it for free with their reader.
Not necessary to buy from them either which is a nice touch.

Back