Can't Find Motorcraft VC-4-A Coolant on Amazon - Prestone AF2500 OK?

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Scratch

Scratch

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - I don't know about the 2002, but my manual for 2003 states specifically to only use the yellow stuff....
What does the o2 manual say? I know you don't want to be mixing these around as they will gel up and destroy your heater core/radiator.

Here's what my manual (and the 2004 manual) says:

Add Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant (yellow-colored), VC-7–A (VC-7–B in Oregon), meeting Ford Specification WSS-M97B51–A1.

Note: Use of Motorcraft Cooling System Stop Leak Pellets, VC-6, may darken the color of Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant from yellow to golden tan.

• Do not add/mix an orange-colored, extended life coolant such as Motorcraft Speciality Orange Engine Coolant, VC-2 (US) or CXC-209 (Canada), meeting Ford specification WSS-M97B44–D with the factory-filled coolant.
Mixing Motorcraft Speciality Orange Engine Coolant or any orange-colored extended life product with your factory filled coolant can result in degraded corrosion protection.

My '02 manual states that I should use VC-4-A if the vehicle has green coolant (which it does) or VC-7-A if the coolant is yellow. Otherwise, the section reads very similar to the '03 manual.

They don't make VC-4 anymore so you will have to use VC-5 as long as it's green you're good. Otherwise, you will need to thoroughly flush the system and then go with yellow or orange coolant.

I am doing a COMPLETE coolant flush. The previous owner used "green" ESE-M97B44-A. I would like to switch to "yellow" WSS-M97B51-A1. Both meet Ford specification. Which is better for both performance and life?
Thanks

According to the 2002 owner's manual you can use either Motorcraft Premium Engine Coolant (Green) or Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant (Yellow).

Coolant 3.jpg

According to the 2003-2005 owner's manual and ALLDATA, you should use Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant VC-7-A. This coolant is yellow in color. Since Ford changed to Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant (Yellow) in 2003, that's the coolant I would use.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Coolant 2.png

Coolant.jpg

Last edited:
While I am at it I am going to replace the thermostat, thermostat housing , water pump , all hoses , belts and idler & tensioner pulleys. working with my 2002 workshop manual has been excellent!

I have removed the filler cap opened the draincock and approximately 1 gallon of fluid drained from the radiator.

How do I remove the rest of the 2 gallons of fluid from the engine block?

Thanks

While I am at it I am going to replace the thermostat, thermostat housing , water pump , all hoses , belts and idler & tensioner pulleys. working with my 2002 workshop manual has been excellent!

I have removed the filler cap opened the draincock and approximately 1 gallon of fluid drained from the radiator.

How do I remove the rest of the 2 gallons of fluid from the engine block?

Thanks
Have not drained the coolant but the service manual gives a procedure I believe. I did replace the coolant expansion tank and lost very little coolant. Disconnecting the lower hose from the exp tank is not easy. Had to cut it. Since you are so far into the system, why not replace the exp (aka: degas bottle) tank too. They eventually leak. My top nipple broke completely off. Get the one with the hose already on at about $52.00. Prep the hose end with a heat gun and a little bit of grease on the pipe just prior to install. Use extra long hose end or straight end needle nose pliers to push the hose on to the pipe. Put hose clamp on hose first. Good luck.

Have not drained the coolant but the service manual gives a procedure I believe. I did replace the coolant expansion tank and lost very little coolant. Disconnecting the lower hose from the exp tank is not easy. Had to cut it. Since you are so far into the system, why not replace the exp (aka: degas bottle) tank too. They eventually leak. My top nipple broke completely off. Get the one with the hose already on at about $52.00. Prep the hose end with a heat gun and a little bit of grease on the pipe just prior to install. Use extra long hose end or straight end needle nose pliers to push the hose on to the pipe. Put hose clamp on hose first. Good luck.
Thanks Bob
I had not thought of this! Great Tip!
Did order the coolant expansion tank ( with hose attached) and drained & flushed the system 6 times as to delute the previous coolant.
After draining the radiator ( a little less than a gallon of fluid came out as stated in manual ) , I am hopeful, that when I remove the water pump , all hoses , thermostat housing and jack up the rear of car the remaining 2 gallons will drain out? Has anyone had this experience ?

Back