Part Availability for 2002 - 2005 Thunderbird

C
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
None
Considering the purchase of a 2005 Thunderbird.

Previously owned a 2004 (Silver w/ Midnight Black Hardtop) that was purchased new and sold in 2009.

Having been away from the Thunderbird market for eight years, I've been doing some research before committing to the purchase of a 2005.

It appears that replacement parts for the 2002 - 2005 Thunderbird are quickly becoming unavailable given the model's low production numbers and age, and poor planning on Ford's part.

What has been the experience of this forum's members? What items are failing and how difficult is it to repair / replace them.

At this point, I don't want to take on a vehicle that will give me more frustration than pleasure.

Thank you and kind regards,

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

In the one year I have owned an >100K mi 2004, knock on wood only the EGR valve hiccuped and corrected itself without service. I have repair records for the 3 years prior to my purchase and it calculates to about .30/mile contributions to the House of Ford. New rad and associated parts, changed differential and xmission lube, brakes, new rag top, endless COPS replaced and valve gasket leaks, some under warranty, radio volume sporadic, etc. Outside of the COPS and leaks, most of the other expenses are due to FWT, not repair.
I took the webmasters advice and bought 8 COPS for $31 total, delivered. I or a shade tree buddy can change them. Keeping them in the trunk, JIC. I love the car. :)

I just bought my second Bird. My first was beautiful 04 PCR but sold it last year. And now I just picked an 04 Silver on Silver with only 18k miles. I love these cars. The parts are not really that hard to find. There are plenty of used parts to find too. T-bird club folk are also fun.

The parts are not really that hard to find. There are plenty of used parts to find too. T-bird club folk are also fun.

Not sure what you are talking about, but I see posts all the time from people that are frustrated because they need a part that is discontinued and hard to find. They made less than 70,000 of these cars total, so the aftermarket parts segment is practically non-existent.

Last edited:
Will a LINCOLN LS RADIO fit a T-Bird, it looks the same?
Radio #
4W4T-18C815-AB, 4W4T18C815AH, 4W4T

Its taken me about 4 months to snag an extra 2002 instrument cluster for decent money....of course its not plug-and-play as it has to be reprogrammed for my VIN (and its mileage). Other parts can be scarce but you have to be vigilant and pounce when you see something you need. Some parts are around cheap....I bought a new headlight and dimmer switch and both cost me less than $100 off Rockauto.

I just bought my second Bird. My first was beautiful 04 PCR but sold it last year. And now I just picked an 04 Silver on Silver with only 18k miles. I love these cars. The parts are not really that hard to find. There are plenty of used parts to find too. T-bird club folk are also fun.
I am buying a 2005 TBIRD...are there any exhaust issues for emission testing? Need to have it cehked here in AZ, Any feedback is apprecaited.

My 2004 was delivered to Oregon and then later licensed in AZ with no issues.

My 2004 was delivered to Oregon and then later licensed in AZ with no issues.
Thanks,,,meeting with the party this week to go over the car before I buy it.,,,

Ask the seller about old struts; I just had mine replaced and it cost about $2000. I would take that into consideration in valuing the car, I wish I would have (mine only had 35,000/miles but needed them.

Just an FYI, it now rides & handles like it did when it was new, sweet.

Thanks,,,meeting with the party this week to go over the car before I buy it.,,,
Make absolutely sure ALL the electronics work: dash lights come on and dim, shifter console light works, power windows/locks work, turn signals, power top, power steering is not stiff, fuel pump(s) operate fine - I would even take an OBD reader and scan for any errant codes.. And of course, cold A/C..

Back