02-05 Trailer Hitch

W

wthigpen

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Ok folks, I read all the posts about trailer hitches for 02-05 retro birds. Problem is, I can't find a hitch anywhere. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

U-Haul made a trailer hitch specifically for Retro Birds - part number 24705. It's long since been discontinued but with the part number you might be able to find one on ebay or craigslist. I would say they are like finding a needle in a haystack though.

Maybe @cobrajeff can chime in, he modified one. See his photos here http://forums.fordthunderbirdforum....lbums/custom-hidden-hitch-for-retro-bird.113/

View attachment 683
Thanks. I've seen all that. No luck finding that hitch.....yet. Was hoping a member might have one for sale.

I sold my retro 'Bird about five years ago (with my custom hitch on it). I just bought another 2002 T'Bird, and need to install a hitch on it. Haven't had any luck finding a 24705 hitch - if anyone has any idea where to get one (new or used) I'd love to hear about it. Some have suggested a Lincoln LS hitch will work - I bought one off e-Bay, but, so far, it does not appear to fit as well as the T'Bird specific model. The LS hitch is load rated higher than the T'Bird hitch (3500# vs. 2000#) so the main crossbar of the hitch is thicker, which means it will not tuck under the rear valance like the T'Bird model. I am working to convert this hitch to a completely hidden installation like I did with my old one, but, starting with the 12253 Curt LS hitch has made more modifications necessary.

Jeff

I bought the hitch from northern tool and the only modification was to cut a small 3" notch in the bottom of the bumper cover and it's not noticeable unless you lay on the ground to look at it. I'll try to post a pic of it to show how it looks.

IMG_2223.JPG IMG_2222.JPG IMG_2226 2.PNG

The RV Plug Is The Most Noticeable Part When Standing Behind The Car

I have finished the install of a Lincoln LS hitch on my second 2002 T'Bird (probably should not have sold the first one). The LS hitch is a bit more substantial than the T'Bird hitch, and I made some modifications to it to make it fit better. I also made the receiver box removable (like I did on my old one) to make the hitch even more unnoticeable.

Attachments

• Hitched.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
From what I have seen, the LS hitches fit 2000-2006 Lincoln LS, and no specific model is required. Part numbers I have seen for the LS hitch are: 36282 for Draw-Tite and U-Haul; 12253 for Curt; and 06393 for Reese.

IMG_4862 m (Large).jpg IMG_4864 m (Large).jpg

It's seems obvious that if you want a trailer hitch for a retro T-Bird (I have a 2002), it's between Draw-tite and Curt (Lincoln LS series).
Does one have advantages over the other, and if so, what are they?
Many thanks in advance!

Additionally, will the Draw-tite T-One vehicle wiring harness (#118373), solve the unique wiring concerns we have?
Thanks again.

I have a 2005 Special Anniversary Edition T-bird. I need a hitch to use exclusively for a bike rack (35 lb ish bike). The only option I found after a fair degree of research and effort is U-Haul. On their website they say they have the only known hitch that can be installed on a 2005 (or other retro) T-bird. Has anyone purchased this hitch? If so, have you had any issues or do you have any advice before I attempt to order one and get it installed? Also welcome any trunk mounted bike rack options. My local bike store says a trunk mount isn't an option. I've only found one that works with suction cups but it is very cost prohibitive (i.e. $1,400). Thanks much.

I have a 2005 Special Anniversary Edition T-bird. I need a hitch to use exclusively for a bike rack (35 lb ish bike). The only option I found after a fair degree of research and effort is U-Haul. On their website they say they have the only known hitch that can be installed on a 2005 (or other retro) T-bird. Has anyone purchased this hitch?
Read the posts above. The Uhaul hitch was discontinued many many years ago. And that custom made to order one was added recently. You have no other option so it's kind of irrelevant.

Link to new hitch- https://www.uhaul.com/Trailer-Hitches/2005/Ford/Thunderbird/Rear-Wheel-Drive/?ddl

I had a hitch installed last year at a shop that sells trailers and hitches. Just drove in and they had a hitch in stock. I would try to find a similar shop near you, I had mine done here:

I have a 2005 Special Anniversary Edition T-bird. I need a hitch to use exclusively for a bike rack (35 lb ish bike). The only option I found after a fair degree of research and effort is U-Haul. On their website they say they have the only known hitch that can be installed on a 2005 (or other retro) T-bird. Has anyone purchased this hitch? If so, have you had any issues or do you have any advice before I attempt to order one and get it installed? Also welcome any trunk mounted bike rack options. My local bike store says a trunk mount isn't an option. I've only found one that works with suction cups but it is very cost prohibitive (i.e. $1,400). Thanks much.

ID Card supplier - indicates they have the trailer hitch

Back