Windshield chrome surround molding

Mikey52

Mikey52

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I need to replace the windshield chrome surround molding. When we took off the hardtop we found some bubbling of the chrome. It appears that the hardtop may never have been removed as the convertible top appears to be in mint condition and the boot is still in the trunk in its original plastic bag with the label in the bag. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Mikey52

Mikey52

Moderator Note 2018:
New
You can buy the chrome windshield pieces here.
Instructions here- 2002 Thunderbird front windshield chrome reveal

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW: It might be cheaper (and higher quality overall) to re-plate the one's from your car. There are some companies (one in Newark NJ I used called Mara Plating) that do show car and motorcycle chrome and it's high quality thick plating that should outlast the original type. I'm betting it's half the cost if not less.

Thanks! The are actually OEM parts but I will keep the old ones and will have them re-plated if the are not rusted out. There is a thread on this subject from quite some time ago. The 2002 windshield surround moldings had a problem with pitting and corrosion and Ford redesigned the part.

Well, if they redesigned it, my 2003 didn't get the message..lol. I have the same pitting and chrome failing...I'm likely going to pull them off next week while waiting on my new top and see if my guy feels he can save them.

Installed new surround trim. Looks great. The new ones from Ford appear to have better seals around the mounting bolts.

I need to replace the windshield chrome surround molding. When we took off the hardtop we found some bubbling of the chrome. It appears that the hardtop may never have been removed as the convertible top appears to be in mint condition and the boot is still in the trunk in its original plastic bag with the label in the bag. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Mikey52
pop off the interior molding to expose studs projecting through frame . loosen the metric nuts and slip off the chrome surround do all in reverse to reattach.
Good Luck

The interior A-pillar moldings as well as the header moldings have to be removed. The interior A-pillar moldings pull out and back towards you. Use deep dish metric sockets to remove the nuts that are connected to studs that are affixed to the chrome exterior moldings, put a piece of tape in the socket to prevent the nut from falling out. beside the two nuts, there is a screw on the bottom of them outside. Once the nuts and screws are removed then the moldings pull off. You remove the side chrome moldings first and then the center piece. Pull the header molding dawn to get to the nuts on the center piece.

Back