2002 intermittent start issue?

G

Greg Schroeder

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello, new here. I couldn't find the search feature but had a question about the starter on a 2002 Thunderbird. It sometimes starts no problem. We drive somewhere and park, come out and it does not work. If we wait a couple hours it then starts. Today it no longer starts at all in our garage.

Would this be the starter or something more complex? All other items for the car work great and the battery is good.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have had the same issue several times. The car never leaves us stranded, but I cancelled AAA one time when it would not start after 15 minutes then did come to life. It went to the dealer earlier this year to check it out. They kept it three days and could not find or duplicate the problem. Battery was indicated to be good, but it is 10 years old. Another source indicated lubricating the lock might help. And it could possibly be the key sensor too.

I had that problem on my 2005 T-Bird and it turned out to be the crank sensor located in the bell housing of the transmission. It had gotten wet from a puddle and would not sense the flywheel turning. Quick fix it is located on the bottom of the bell housing and just screws in. Good Luck, Rick

I am having the same problem with my 2003. Check engine light codes indicated a problem with the throttle body unit becoming dirty. Ford issued a TSB regarding this and I brought it to Ford dealer to check out. They said it looked good to them. I have had intermittent problems since then. The most recent was today. After driving about 40 miles on highway, stopped car and it would not start. Check engine light has been on for awhile and a passenger noted the gas cap warning light on which I did not see because it was behind steering wheel. After letting the car cool down for about 45 minutes if finally started and I returned home. When I got home and turned it off and immediately tried restarting it, it would not. After about 1 1/2 hours went down and it started right up and then filled it up with gas and brought ir back home. Would not start. Two interesting things; first the security light in the top center of the dash was flashing rapidly and my gas gauge registered only a quarter tank. Turning the ignition switch off and then back on corrected the gauge issue. It is going back to the dealer. I will get a new gas cap but I think that the problem is with the throttle body unit.
It has 32,000 miles on it. First major problem.

I am having the same problem with my 2003. Check engine light codes indicated a problem with the throttle body unit becoming dirty. Ford issued a TSB regarding this and I brought it to Ford dealer to check out. They said it looked good to them. I have had intermittent problems since then. The most recent was today. After driving about 40 miles on highway, stopped car and it would not start. Check engine light has been on for awhile and a passenger noted the gas cap warning light on which I did not see because it was behind steering wheel. After letting the car cool down for about 45 minutes if finally started and I returned home. When I got home and turned it off and immediately tried restarting it, it would not. After about 1 1/2 hours went down and it started right up and then filled it up with gas and brought ir back home. Would not start. Two interesting things; first the security light in the top center of the dash was flashing rapidly and my gas gauge registered only a quarter tank. Turning the ignition switch off and then back on corrected the gauge issue. It is going back to the dealer. I will get a new gas cap but I think that the problem is with the throttle body unit.
It has 32,000 miles on it. First major problem.
I too am having the same issue, hate to drop $500 on a throttle body, was your issue repaired ?

I too am having the same issue, hate to drop $500 on a throttle body, was your issue repaired ?
After $351 worth of work at the dealer the problem appears to have been fixed. $275 was for checking the coils which I had replaced. They were okay. This is what the repair order said after they checked the coils out and it would not start. Then they did the following. "Followed PPT for U1147 code and performed a network test- PCM is not powering up. Performed As-built re program on PCM and retest - concern is resolved. Suspect faulty PCM software, if this happens again the vehicle will need a new PCM." My vehicle has run well since this was done on 10/24/2016. In addition they checked out the air filter cover which was not closing properly and they cleaned the mass air flow and throttle body for $55. There is an aerosol cleaner for throttle body units for sale at auto parts stores. It is not a carburetor cleaner which has chemicals that can damage air sensors in the air flow tube from the filter to the throttle body unit. Hope this helps.

Back