Replacing 292 engine with a 312

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
I

IronHorseDriver

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
none
Hey Folks,

Newbie here. I have been looking for a '57 restoration project, and I recently got a lead on a 57 that had been disassembled and partially restored. Most of the parts need to be reinstalled--something that is well within my ability (provided I can find good parts and service manuals that can help me). Anyway, the current owner pulled out the original 292 and had a 312 engine custom built. He said it was bored out to 335 c.i.d. and assembled with aluminum heads. My question for this forum is whether the 312 is a drop-in replacement for the 292, or if I will need to have new mounts installed/welded on to the frame.

If anyone on this forum has done this engine swap I would appreciate any input.

Exact drop inuses same mounts. Why change it. The 312 was a much sought after engine and has a lot more power and does not take away from the price of the car. The 312 was an upgrade and was a standard engine in that car.

Thanks. I went to look at the car today and the owner stated that it originally had the 312 ("D" Bird), then it was downgraded (before he owned it) to a 292. When he began the restoration a number of years ago, he obtained a 312 which was souped up to 335 c.i.d. and aluminum heads.

the "Y" block engines, 272, 292 and 312 are all easily interchangeable.

I would say yes because they too are "Y" block engines. I think the larger 292 and 312 would be more readily available.

The 312 will drop right in and will be more fun to drive especially If it's a 335 c.i.d. with aluminum hands

Back