2003 thunderbird computer shifting points

Donmj
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
after battery is disconnected I'm told tranny computer has to reset the shifting points...had tranny rebuilt and I don't think it shifts correctly. Any similar problems ?? gas mileage dropped pretty bad also...any help appreciated ...thanks !

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I had my transmission rebuilt about a year ago.. no difference in gas mileage. At first I felt it was not shifting correctly . That went away. Sorry I can't tell you a time estimate on that. I drive just around town .. I was told that the computer was adjusting to my driving habits. My hubby says I drive hard. Whatever that means. I hope the adjustment happens to your bird also..

after battery is disconnected I'm told tranny computer has to reset the shifting points...had tranny rebuilt and I don't think it shifts correctly. Any similar problems ?? gas mileage dropped pretty bad also...any help appreciated ...thanks !
My Transmission has the E code and I have not fixed anything yet. I wonder if I should just keep driving it without the overdrive lockup. Will this hurt the transmission or just my mileage.

My 2003 has 68k miles on it and the transmission shudders when shifting.
At some point, I'd like to follow the most likely (proven) path to resolution.
But, there seems to be great disagreement in what that path is. There are threads pointing to:
1. Improper fluid level (over-full.)
2. Blown seals inside transmission.
3. PCM (is this the "computer"?) or just a control module for the tranny?
4. Transmission is in need of a rebuild. (at 68k?)
5. Computer "lost" it's shifting history and has to re-establish it over time.

Does anyone have a more definitive answer - that would likely be the culprit in my case (68k miles), shudder, etc.?
I would not want to be the 1000th one to have the transmission rebuilt - only to find it didn't fix the problem.

Other than the shudder, it drives fine.

Back