1963 Thunderbird Owner Intro...

C
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I've been lurking around this site for awhile and thought I should introduce myself. Most of my buds call me "Cebu" and I'm a motorcyclist that enjoys wrenching on bikes and cages. I own a 1963 Thunderbird that I've been working on mechanically and eventually will have someone restore the interior. When I first got "Josie" I had a horrible overheating problem. The previous owner dropped in a 429 Cobrajet motor and had a FI system. When I got it, all the FI hardware was removed and a 4 barrel and MSD distributor was put in place. I gutted all FI remanence except the 02 sensors.

Fast forward to today, no more heating issues (lot of work to get there) I drive her around town with my wifey on some weekends and dig getting the "thumb up" and chance conversations with other car buffs or someone that has a Thunderbird story.

My next project is replacing the parking brake cables and getting my brake lights to work. I appreciate all I can learn from this forum and will contribute when I can.

Ride safe fellas!
Cebu~

Attachments

• IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    392.1 KB · Views: 1
Hey Cebu, I have used Larry's Thunderbirds for parts I have needed. You can find him on line. You might want to check the brake light switch which is mounted on the brake pedal. They were a poor design and don't last. Good Luck Rick

Good evening captrick,

I didn't know there was a mechanical or electrical switch mounted on the brake pedal. I took a look a bit ago and can't seem to locate it. I see the hydraulic line going to the brake light switch near the brake booster.

I rechecked my brake light situation. The right side (passenger) side brakes work when the pedal is depressed. The left side side (driver) side never comes on. I've already replaced the bulb.

It seems the right side brake light will intermittently fail if I operate the blinkers. The front headlamp switch also seem to have an effect. The 1963 Thunderbird Electrical Assembly Manual shows the turn signal switch in series with the stop lamps. Perhaps the switch is defective?

One note, the underside dash wiring is horrible. The previous owners must have had electrical issues as there are jumper wires all over the place. I'm tempted to gut it all out and start from scratch.

Thank you for any insight you may have, I really appreciate it.

Hey Cebu, I have used Larry's Thunderbirds for parts I have needed. You can find him on line. You might want to check the brake light switch which is mounted on the brake pedal. They were a poor design and don't last. Good Luck Rick

My neighbors restored 1960 Corvette had the same issue with the right side brake light working intermittently. Yes it was the directional switch. When I opened it up the return spring was weak and would not relocate the lever back to center so the right side would not make contact for the brake light to work. Easy fix! all I did was pull the spring out and bent it open a little more so it would hold the directional arm properly centered.

Back