Lens restoring??

JW in Dixie

JW in Dixie

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Big Mess! 04 bird- headlamp lenses slightly cloudy. Auto Zone clerk said just wipe them with a cloth soaked in acetone. I feared that acetone might react with the plastic, but did as he advised. BIG mistake. Bought a lens
restoration kit, from Walmart, and began with the coarsest abrasive pad supplied therein. Not going to cut it.
Any advice would be appreciated. Buffing pad with compound? Fine sandpaper?

Yes, I bought the Turtle Wax kit. The coarsest pad is not coarse enough - slow. May have to use wet sand paper. Groan

I have used Mequires Plast-X and a powerball in a drill and it works fine and it is only one step.

I have used Mequires Plast-X and a powerball in a drill and it works fine and it is only one step.
I can get the Mcguires but what is a powerball? Is it like a buffing pad? Thx

Yes it is the ball of foam and they also make it in pad.

Mine were dingy on the inside. I replaced em

Jim, the weather turned cold and I have let the project slide. Picked up some 1500 and 2000 wet paper today and will hit it again when this spell ends. Using acetone was a mistake. Perhaps I over-applied it. Cheers

Yes the weather, can change the priority ha. I have a technician in the Huntsville area every so often. We do a sand, polish and UV coat for $60 total for both lights. You may need to go a bit deeper with that sand paper. Yes stay away from the acetone.

Santa arrived today with a pair of brand new headlights from my Son. He is going to polish the originals and sell them on eBay. And my two grandsons are going to make the switch Monday. Doesn't get better than that! Ho, ho, ho!! :)

Well, guess what? The Grandsons didn't show so I changed them myself. Thirty minutes on the first, 15 on the second.
A little WD40 helps the retainers come loose. Looks a LOT better!

I know its been a while, but you need to educate the Autozone guy. Acetone dissolves most plastics. Just ask my wife about her plastic measuring cup!

I use bug repellent in spray can,Put it on a cloth or small paper towel.(not on the lens .Then apply the repellent soaked towel carefully to only the lens.It will remove the reside in just a short minute of rubbing.I then use spray silicone to a paper towel and go over the lens to remove the bug repellent.Presto clear clear lens. Note no swin suit is required to preform this task.

I just bought new lens which were very inexpensive ($68.50 each) and while you are at it new bulbs really are worth the money but dont get LED's as they will drive the bulb out warning system crazy.

Back