Just got a new Tbird (2002)

Four easy questions (for someone who has one for a while)
1) How do you jump start a dead battery? cigarette lighter?
2) I only received one key, must I go to the dealer? (dealer quoted $120).
3) Doesn't Chilton or Haynes publish a repair manual for $20 like I have for my other cars?
4) Can I purchase a new drivers seat cover? Mine is torn. --- Alan

For #1 I highly recommend getting one of these lithium ion jump packs http://amzn.to/28TF4pG I got one as a gift and it's awesome. Also charges your cell phone, etc in case of power outages, etc.

1. You technically could try jumping via a lead from one of those jump start packs to the cigarette lighter but I owuld not recommend it as the wiring may not take the ampage.
2. I don't believe the key on the TBirds was encoded in any way so a basic replacement cut one from walmart or lowes may work, only way to know is try it.
3. No no one makes a reference workshop manual for the car except Ford themselves, sorry, wish they did as I could have used it a few times.
4. Only way I would know of getting a new cover for the seat may be off a wrecked one somewhere or if ford still offer that but I bet it would have to be the complete seat. Otherwise find a third party person who actually replaced car seat coverings.

Four easy questions (for someone who has one for a while)
1) How do you jump start a dead battery? cigarette lighter?
2) I only received one key, must I go to the dealer? (dealer quoted $120).
3) Doesn't Chilton or Haynes publish a repair manual for $20 like I have for my other cars?
4) Can I purchase a new drivers seat cover? Mine is torn. --- Alan

1) You'll need a long set of cables. The battery is in the wheel well.

You guys are aware of the key slot behind the drivers seat, right? as long as I (or AAA) has access to the battery why buy a jump pack? My next question is hi-test gas really necessary? I use reg in my I-30 Infiniti, (it also calls for premium and have no issues). Also, Does having two tone seats mean I have the premium model? thanks

You guys are aware of the key slot behind the drivers seat, right? as long as I (or AAA) has access to the battery why buy a jump pack? My next question is hi-test gas really necessary?

Why would you sit around waiting for AAA or jump statt youe car with another car when you can do it with a jump pack, regardless of where the battery is located?

Also, when they engineers say a car needs high octane fuel, they do so for a reason, so yes, it needs high octane fuel.

Hello again, here's another question or two. When the lights are turned on does the gear selector in the console light up? bulb out? If it is a bulb, how do you access it? I did more research. Engine compression is too high for regular fuel. I purchased keys and remotes on ebay, had them cut, locksmith did the chip thing. (no dealer prices!!) I still don't know what makes a premium model. The previous owner installed a bright chrome body side molding with double sided tape. Can I remove it without damage to the paint or the molding? BTW, I put jumper cables in the trunk! --- Thanks

I have one of these and LOVE it. It will jump start cars, trucks, lawn mowers, motorcycles, etc. I let my daughter borrow it and can't get it back ;)
how long does it hold a charge, my problem would be that I wouldn't use it for a year and then when the car battery died, the charger would be dead also and worthless.

how long does it hold a charge, my problem would be that I wouldn't use it for a year and then when the car battery died, the charger would be dead also and worthless.

Get a trickle charge from any flavor of auto parts stores. I have a battery minder Plus that I have had since 2004. If I am not going to drive it for longer than 30 days, I put it on charger. Comes with all the cords that allow you to keep one attached to your battery and the other to the charger. Uses a simple trailer connector to start the charge. It also does much more. Here is the current model on Amazon.com or any car parts store.
BatteryMINDer Model 12117: 12 Volt 1.33 Amp (12V 1.33A) Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P23HZS/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

My locksmith told me that if you have two keys it is easy to create spares, instructions are in the owners manual. If you only have one key, the security system has to be reset. He did mine for $80.00. I now have three keys. Now if the former owner tried to start the car with the old key the security system would lock up for 10 minutes.

You can use regular gasoline unless you are racing and need every ounce of power available. In the USA that means 87 plus octane and the engine computer in any modern car will adjust to the octane of the fuel you use. My 04 bird has 165,000 miles and is driven daily in both city and freeway driving. It has no problem running on regular but then I am not driving it in competition.

Back